Call us today: 587-984-7978

Family Sponsorship | Spouse, Partner, Children, Parent, Grandparent

Through Family Class sponsorships, Canadian citizens and permanent residents are able to sponsor qualifying family members for permanent resident status in Canada. As one of the objectives of Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the family class provides for the reunification of families in Canada.

Qualifying family members include:

  • A sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
  • A dependent child of the sponsor;
  • A sponsor’s parents; or
  • A sponsor’s grandparents.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents wishing to sponsor their family members must first meet certain criteria to qualify as a sponsor. If a Canadian citizen or permanent resident meets the criteria, they can apply to be approved as a sponsor. If approved as a sponsor, the family member’s application for permanent residence will be forwarded to the visa office adjudicating the application.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents who wish to sponsor a spouse or common-law partner who is already in Canada may be eligible to apply through the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada Class.

Sponsor Obligations

If a Canadian citizen or permanent resident has undertaken a sponsorship to bring their family members to Canada, the sponsor needs to meet their sponsorship obligations as agreed to in the sponsorship application. This includes being financially responsible for the time period specified in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act of Canada for the family members who gain permanent residence as a result of the sponsorship. It is important to note that a break down in a relationship does not take away the obligations of the sponsor to remain financially responsible for their family member.

Parent and Grandparent  Sponsorships

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada accepts a limited number of sponsorship applications for Parents and Grandparents each calendar year. Applicants for sponsorship must meet minimum household income levels based on the size of the sponsors family in order to be considered for approval.

Find out more:

If you would like to find out if you qualify as a sponsor or if you would like to sponsor a family member for permanent residence please contact us for a consultation. Contact Us!

Immigration News

Convenient Consultations

We can bring our service to you. We can meet at your place of business, home, or other convenient location to discuss your immigration matters. Alternately, you can visit us in our office for your consultation. Call today to book a consultation. All consultations are by appointment only.

Commissioner for Oaths Services

Contact us if you require Commissioner for Oaths Services with a statutory declaration. We can help you out.

Our Contact Information

Phone: 587.984.7978


10060 Jasper Avenue
Tower 1, Suite 2020
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3R8