Call us today: 587-984-7978

Temporary Residence for Visitors, Workers, and Students

Temporary Resident Visa

Canada visa

Foreign nationals wishing to enter Canada as a temporary resident generally require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter. Citizens from certain countries do not require a TRV to visit Canada. To see if you require a TRV to enter Canada click here. A TRV is applied for prior to coming to Canada. Applications to extend the TRV can be made within Canada as long as the foreign national has complied with all the requirements of the original TRV.

Denied a Temporary Resident Visa due to a medical condition?

If your application for a Temporary Resident Visa has been denied due to an existing medical condition but your circumstances weigh in favor of you being present in Canada you may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. Temporary Resident Permits are granted on a discretionary basis and may allow you entry to Canada for a period of time.

Working in Canada

Working in Canada in most cases requires authorization and a valid work permit. There are a few occupations that do not require a work permit while in Canada. To see if your occupation is exempt from requiring a work permit click here. You may still require a TRV to gain entry to Canada.

Most foreign nationals wanting to work in Canada will find that they require a work permit to work in Canada. Higher Ground Immigration Services provides consulting and assistance with the following work permit applications:

  • Labour Market Impact Assessment based work permits;
  • Post-Graduation Work Permits.

Education and work experience in Canada may provide skilled temporary workers with an opportunity to qualify for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class.

Studying in Canada

To study in Canada for a study period of greater than 6 months requires a study permit. Course programs that last less than 6 months do not require a study permit, only a TRV is required. Study permits allow foreign students to work on the campus where they are attending school. Some schools have additional agreements with the government that authorizes off-campus employment. After graduating from a Canadian school, an international student may be eligible to participate in the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. 

If your family is accompanying you and you have school aged children who will be in Canada for the duration of the school year you can obtain study permits for your children while they attend primary and secondary schools.

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada created the super visa application while it had placed a hold on sponsorship applications for Parents and Grandparents. The Super Visa provides visas for parents and grandparents to allow them to visit their families in Canada.

Find out more:

If you would like to find out if you qualify to apply for temporary residence or if you would like assistance obtaining a work permit contact us for a free consultation. Contact Us!

Immigration News

Convenient Consultations

We can bring our service to you. We can meet at your place of business, home, or other convenient location to discuss your immigration matters. Alternately, you can visit us in our office for your consultation. Call today to book a consultation. All consultations are by appointment only.

Commissioner for Oaths Services

Contact us if you require Commissioner for Oaths Services with a statutory declaration. We can help you out.

Our Contact Information

Phone: 587.984.7978


10060 Jasper Avenue
Tower 1, Suite 2020
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3R8